Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Forsake thy American Idols


This is a rant about American Idol. If you dislike the spectacle as much as I do, read on and enjoy. If you love the show, read on and change your mind...

As much as I like music and performance, I never got hooked on watching this particular parade of wanna-be's march past a panel of "experts." Personally, I think it's humiliating for all involved. We know that the tryouts are embarrassing for the thousands of folks who try to exhibit a talent they never had. But have you ever thought about the judges? Due to the pressure of television ratings, they have to come up with creative ways to (tactfully or not) explain to the talent-less what makes them terrible. And all the while, Ryan Seacrest (does anyone actually like that guy?) serves as the opinion-less moderator, almost cheering on the contestants, and almost agreeing with the judges.

Apparently now they have singing "mentors" to help the contestants in rehearsals. This week's mentor was none other than Miley Cyrus. Cause she's an expert on good singing! That's like having Kanye West teach a poetry class (<--- lame simile).

Perhaps the people who should be most embarrassed by American Idol are well... Americans. Snarky judge Simon Cowell purportedly makes $30 million a year just for being on the show. Simon Fuller, the shows creator, and his British production outfit get a cut of all media that promote the show- CDs, TV, movies, T-shirts, etc. They also get dibs on signing contestants to their record label. And the American Idols Live Tour grosses an average of $400,000 per show ($80 million over the last five years). See for yourself.

And the singers all sound the same.

What happened to classy? What happened to enjoying performers who have worked for years to hone their skill? What happened to polite audiences? When did booing become an appropriate response to constructive criticism, or to referees at sporting events for that matter? Does America have any sort of respectful, intellectual culture these days? Looks like it's mostly about money, fame, and appearances.

Perhaps those are the American Idols.

(zing!)

3 comments:

  1. I agree. It's time to give it a rest. 8 seasons (?) is a pretty good run for any TV show... Now it's just getting ridiculous and repetitive.

    I do, however, love that Simon Cowell. I wish I could be truthfully rude to people-- something to aspire to, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the focus of American Idol has changed and that is the problem. Way back in season 1, it seemed like talent was what the people looked for, which is why Kelly Clarkson won. She is a pretty talented singer. But in later seasons, it seems like people want what I call the "weird factor". It's more about the production/how crazy the performers act than about actual musical talent. It's too bad.
    And I agree that it's gone on way too long. They just need to call it quits, like Paula did. And seriously, what does Ellen know about music??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen knows nothing. She just knows music is good for dancing...

    ReplyDelete