Friday, March 19, 2010

Blogs, blogs about blogs, my new blog


Today I made a blog.
Oh wow, that was a lame way to begin this thing. I call a mulligan.


Welcome to my blog! Shoot, cliché . Redo.


I have a story for you. It's a true one. Personally, I've always preferred nonfiction. Never really understood why folks would make up stories when they could use real life to get a point across. But I digress...

I decided to create a blog. Not because I have anything important to say, or because I lack an outlet for my inner thoughts (see my old xanga). I made a blog because I was bored. Despite the best arguments of my high-school friends, Facebook does have limits for entertainment. And although NBC does well on Thursdays, the weekend leaves something to be desired. My sister-in-law Sarah can take credit for inspiring my blog idea. She writes a rather clever one, keeping her many followers guessing about her future posts. Will the next one be comical or serious? Will I be compelled to laugh or cry? (I've never cried, for the record, while reading Sarah's blog.)

Anyway, I sashayed on over to the blogger website, only to encounter the biggest challenge of my day. Would you believe that the first thing the site required was a NAME for my BLOG??? Pshaw! Imagine me staring blankly at Donald's screen, all previous inspiration cascading from my mind like water from the dishwasher when the door is opened. (<-- First lame simile.) I expressed my exasperation to my darling wife, with whom I often share a couch and evening boredom. She asked, as I suppose any darling wife would, what I intended my blog to convey.
"What's it about?"
"Well, nothing so far," I replied. A short pause on her part to gather patience.
"What is it GOING to be about?"
"I haven't thought that far ahead. I'm only making it cause I'm bored."

For the next two minutes, I surveyed all the blogger names from aforementioned sister-in-law's site. I encountered the obvious oxymorons such as Falling Up. There were the Christian clichés: Beautiful Ashes, A Genuine Faith, Where He Leads. Wisdom's Table seemed a bit pretentious to me. On The Road To Thailandia And Beyond was self-explanatory and lengthy, and I found Semi-Fearless Belle a bit wishy-washy. Then I discovered it. Reynolds Ramblings. I'm not sure what an aluminum foil company has to say that can't be cleared up with a press conference, but I appreciate the productive power of literary devices. Ah yes, the alliterative blog name.

While I initially voted for Cowden's Constipations because of its eye-catching value, my wife's wise words swayed my decision toward cogitations. (I personally prefer the word ruminations, but without alliteration I had no way to justify its use. And by this point, I was dangerously close to blog-boredom.) Of course, my inspiration having cascaded like dishwasher water, I had to start afresh with the inaugural blog post. So here it is, a blog post about blog posting. Because blogs should reflect on real life, right?

We shall see, my friends. We shall see.

3 comments:

  1. I feel pretty proud to have such in impact on your blog. I am thinking that our blogging will be an interesting exprience. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to insult all my friends' blogs, BIL.

    However, I will allow this to be cancelled out by your complete pimptation of my blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name and I love the idea. Can't wait to hear how you chase away the boredom.

    ReplyDelete