Monday, March 22, 2010

March is National Reading Month

...but you can actually read any time you want.

Much to the chagrin of literature teachers around the world, reading for pleasure has never been high on my priority list. Textbooks dominated my bookshelf in college like drama dominates ABC programming (<--- lame simile). However, since the mandatory reading has ended, I have developed a new appreciation for (some) books. I understand that book lists are probably a cliche, but in the interest of literacy, I present to you my recent reading list:


Beyond Opinion by Ravi Zacharias. I'm currently enjoying this book put together by a prominent Christian apologist. The chapters are written by members of his ministry, and are very thought-provoking.

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. Heather finally convinced me to read this novel by a Christian author. It was fantastic! The book really drew me in, and I tore through it in two days.

This is Your Brain on Music by Daniel J. Levitin. This New York Times
bestseller was written by a music-loving neuroscientist. He explains facts and theories about how music is interpreted by the brain, and how it affects our lives. Fascinating to a musician, and I think even the less nerdy would find it interesting.

The Most of P.G. Wodehouse, The Inimitable Jeeves, Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse. Attention Americans: British authors can be hilarious. Wodehouse's work is dripping with satire. The Most is a collection of short stories, while the other two are longer novels. All excellent!

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. A classic American novel, and one of
Heather's favorites. I read it January 2009, so I can't remember much detail about the book. But I do remember really enjoying it.

1984 by George Orwell. I did a book report on 1984 in middle school. I re-read it last fall, and realized its poignancy. Not "pretty" by any means, but I appreciate the social consideration it inspires.

Night by Elie Wiesel. I believe Mr. Wiesel's account of his time in the Auschwitz and Buchenwald concentration camps is one of the most important works written in the twentieth century. It is gruesome, terrifying, and heart wrenching, and it is a necessary read for everyone. Wiesel has been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the U.S. Congressional Gold Medal, the French Legion of Honor, and the
1986 Nobel Peace Prize for dedicating his life to preventing the recurrence of such atrocities as the Holocaust.

4 comments:

  1. Tyson suggested you read "Already Gone" by Ken Ham and Brit Breemer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to keep you up to date, I'm still working my way through "The Big Book of Church Jokes." It's taking awhile because it's 367 pages long and most of the pages have writing on 1/2 or more of the page. I'm about to commence with page 120 and I expect to finish before the end of the year, unless I loose valuable reading time doing yard work this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I have to say is... The Catcher in the Rye??? Really? I wanted to shoot myself after reading it.

    And also, if we want to talk Holocaust books- you better read The Hiding Place. Although Night was really good too (just super sad).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, I must disagree with you. The Catcher in the Rye is a very good book! One of my favorites! Next you'll be saying that you didn't like The Great Gatsby or Ella Enchanted (the book, NOT the movie)!

    ReplyDelete