Sunday, March 28, 2010

Christ in the Classics


I had the opportunity to perform in a wonderful concert this evening. Columbus Avenue Baptist Church in Waco presented a program called Christ in the Classics. It featured a full choir and orchestra (with organ!) performing great works in the "classical" repertoire, including:

Various pieces by J.S. Bach
Selections from Handel's Messiah
"Gloria" from Vivaldi's Gloria
Mendelssohn
Gounod
Fauré

Between the musical selections, there was a narration of Jesus' life from the scriptures, along with works of art projected onto the big screens. The art included works by:




Joachim Patenier (The Baptism of Christ)









Giotto di Bodone (Christ Entering Jerusalem)











Peter Paul Reubens (Christ on the Cross)











Rembrandt van Rijn (The Ascension)









Other artists included:
Michelangelo
Flinck
Grünewald
da Vinci

This was seriously one of the best programs in which I've ever participated. It was a fantastic way for a lover of the arts to contemplate the life, death, and resurrection of Christ, and I think the less dorky folks really appreciated it too. Heather enjoyed it a great deal, and was sad she didn't sing in the choir. I wish you all could have been there!

1 comment:

  1. Somebody should have taped the program, then posted it on the church's website.

    ReplyDelete