Monday, April 5, 2010


A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I did nothing creative today. I have to say it is a rare day when I don't do something creative. Sometimes it's music, sometimes I make an artistic project (I include coloring maps in this category), occasionally I'll read a poem or some fiction. I don't normally engage in a BIG creative endeavor, but I usually do something artistic or imaginative during the day.

We are created in the image of God, who is THE Creator. The ability to create, and appreciate creation, is a big part of what sets us apart from the rest of nature. It's very important that we nurture that aspect of ourselves. Our society has made it WAY too easy to stay in a logic-filled, down-to-earth, here-and-now bubble, staying indoors with our computers and televisions.

Remember nature? Trees in bloom, hot sun, cool clouds, how rain can feel good instead of being a nuisance? Remember books? Those collections of other people's ideas and stories, printed with ink that you can smell on pages you can feel? Have you ever really listened to music that is new to you? If you begin to explore (especially in other cultures), you will find that the world of sound is endless. Have you ever perused an art gallery, or even flipped through an art book, and stopped to notice the details of a particular painting?

We need to continue finding new ways to stimulate our creative side (yes, we all have one). It's a crucial way to connect with our Lord, and to grow personally. I'm gonna do better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment