Sunday, June 12, 2011

Resurfacing

Well the spring school term ended a few weeks ago. After sloshing around in the kiddie pool of my first graduate semester, I immediately abandoned my floaties and plunged myself into the deep churning waters of a May-term class. I have since emerged refreshed but gasping for a breath of summer air.

I really enjoyed my time last week at the Baptist Church Music Conference. Shaking hands and chatting with the big names (and humble spirits) in church music is always a thrilling experience.

My free time this weekend has been graced by the presence of Sister-in-law Sarah, and her visit has been fun for me and the wife.

You may say, "Stephen, I know you can't sit idly for long. What's on the docket for the rest of your summer?" Well, says I, I will tell you!

July 18-22 will be a busy and exciting week: During these days I will be engaged in both Baylor's Alleluia Church Music Conference and FBC Mart's VBS. Before and after this much-anticipated week, I plan to plan (that's no typo) and do a good deal of reading. I have come to realize that long-range planning is key to an effective music ministry, so this is a major goal for my summer. The other is to make headway into my reading list. Let me share some of my list with you:

-H.G. Wells: War of the Worlds
-H.G. Wells: The Time Machine
(I've already finished these two and loved them.)
-Mary Glazener: The Cup of Wrath - A novel based on Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Resistance to Hitler
-James Hansen: First Man - The Life of Neil Armstrong
-Terry York: Voice of Our Congregation
-Jules Verne: Journey to the Center of the Earth
-Alexander Schmemann: Liturgical Theology
-Bob Kauflin: Worship Matters

Of course I welcome suggestions from you for additions to my reading list, particularly in the fiction department. I have always preferred nonfiction, but am coming to realize the importance of good fiction works.

Happy summer!

1 comment:

  1. Your books sound so smart... Mine are always kid books that can hold my short attention span. I wish I was as devoted as you to bettering my mind!

    ReplyDelete