Friday, December 3, 2010

Ed Bacsi

Many of my friends and family are Christians. Among them are several really faithful believers, folks who I can pinpoint as excellent examples for me to follow. One of them, Ed Courtney, passed away on Tuesday. I met Ed and his wife Syble during my second summer in Hungary, where they were the pastors of an international church. As I write this post, I am watching a Celebration Service in Ed's honor via a live internet stream. I'd like to share, mostly as a reminder to myself, some of Ed's attributes that reflect our Lord.


His sense of humor could light up a room. Most of the photos I have of Ed show a twinkle in his eye and laughter on his lips.

His wife, Syble, was truly the love of his life. They were always together, ministering alongside one another, and welcoming people into their home with profound hospitality. A person could tell by looking at Ed and Syble that they were waaaay in love with each other, and their love grew day by day.

He had a gentle spirit that made everyone around him feel so comfortable. In fact, everyone in Hungary called him Ed Bacsi, a term of affection similar to "Uncle."

Ed took a personal interest in everyone he met- old or young; Hungarian, American, Nigerian, or Cuban; church members or visitors; Baptist or Pentecostal; believer or nonbeliever. I believe this is what made him an great pastor.

He didn't work to spiritualize everything, nor did he hand wisdom out like gospel tracks. Yet everything about Ed was spiritual, and each time I spent a few minutes with him I came away wiser.

After living in Hungary for about seven years, Ed and Syble moved back to Jackson, Mississippi. I know from reading obituaries and comments from his friends that he served wholeheartedly as associate pastor at a church there. I also know from his friends' comments that Ed was exactly the same in Mississippi as he was in Hungary. His identity went beyond location or situation.

Ed's greatest desire was not anything magnificent or impossible; it was simply that all his family and friends would know Jesus Christ.


I thank the Lord that I knew Ed, and I ask Him to ease Syble's grief and the grief of her family and friends. I hope that in the years to come, God will transform my character to reflect His, like He did for my friend Ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment